Shady's Back...Tell a Friend!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

New Zealand: Not as Cool as Everybody Thinks

I bet you think New Zealand is so cool, but I bet this will make you think differently. A New Zealand couple has been denied their request to name their new son "4Real". The New Zealand Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages told the couple that starting their new baby's name with a number was against the rules.

The couple decided upon the name after seeing their son on an ultrasound and realizing that the baby would soon be a reality. The New Zealand government says they will consider "unusual" baby names on a case-by-case basis. If a decision isn't reached on the legitimacy of the name in the next 30 days, the baby's birth certificate will list his name as "Real".

If a couple wants to ruin their kids life by naming it something crazy, I say let 'em. I mean, doesn't the New Zealand government have a wallaby problem to deal with or something?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger (A Little) Gris Gris said...

While I agree that these parents may be doing their son a relatively major social disservice by naming him 4Real, I can’t see how naming one’s child can be legislated (in a democracy, anyway). I believe CNN reported that New Zealand has banned the naming of children Satan and Hitler as well. Somehow I don’t see 4Real in the same category as Satan or Hitler.

Last night on House Hunters, the realtor’s name was Pie. YUM!

8:08 AM

 
Blogger scooterlulu said...

It is funny to me that they were worried ENOUGH that somebody might name their baby Satan or Hitler that they had to institute the rule!

8:34 AM

 
Blogger The Pink Totebag said...

I can just hear it now: "Satan, come on, it's time for you to go to your CCD class!" I mean really. There are alot of dumbasses out there, I suppose...

3:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home