Shady's Back...Tell a Friend!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wait a Second...

I sucked it up and watched a pretty decent chunk of last night's State of the Union Address. For those of you who had better plans, you didn't miss much. The whole thing could have been titled "Let's Throw Stuff to the Wall and See What Sticks". About halfway through though, something dawned on me. Bush sounded like a democrat. With the "Let's cut gas consumption" and the "let's insure the uninsured babies and oldies"...that's when I got a little concerned. How was Bush going to make his tax cuts permanent AND insure the babies? So I did a little digging (so you don't have to).

I can't even begin to explain this plan but if you have insurance through your work, are chronically ill, or are too poor to care about saving on your taxes, this plan will probably hurt you, but if you pay for insurance for yourself, it might help.

For the record, I would like to commend President Bush (look quick, this may never happen again) for putting this issue on the table, but huge parts of this plan are super crappy. Good thing Congress isn't going to do anything he talked about in the way he proposed (I think I saw Hillary playing Gameboy under the table). Read the breakdown from CNN Money and let us know what you think!

5 Comments:

Blogger (A Little) Gris Gris said...

I am not convinced of anything at the moment. I'm not certain that the D's will get anything good done and I'm definitely not reassured in the slightest by GWB's speech. I think I'm losing my idealism and becoming more and more jaded. But, aren't we all?

8:46 AM

 
Blogger scooterlulu said...

i liked last year's better when he talked about switchgrass and human-animal hybrids!

-scooter

11:53 AM

 
Blogger The Pink Totebag said...

Hmmm. I don't know. Being that I fall into that "pre-existing conditions" pile, and thereby must choose the most comprehensive plan that is offered in an effort to have access to the best doctors, I'm thinkin' that this is NOT going to work for me. That being said, I am all for doing what we have to do to help other less-fortunate people to get the coverage they need. It will be interesting to see how things pan out... And Gris, I am with you. It's hard not to be jaded, but maybe if we all stay as pissed off as we were back in November, we can continue to bring about some real change. We'll see!!!

12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will probably appreciate this entry: http://lancemannion.typepad.com/lance_mannion/2007/01/why_we_dont_lik.html

4:32 PM

 
Blogger scooterlulu said...

Anon-

Thanks for that article. Loved it. I don't care for George W. Bush, we all know that, but I am happy to give credit where credit is due. I think talking about healthcare is important. I think giving people who purchase their own insurance some of the same tax benefits afforded to people who get their insurance from their employer is also good. That is about where my agreement with this proposal ends. It is a bad plan. It reminds me a little of "No Child Left Behind". GREAT in theory, disaster in practice. I think I have said that about communism before too. Hmmm...interesting. Thanks for the article. -lulu

10:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home