Shady's Back...Tell a Friend!

Monday, April 02, 2007

Good News for the World, Bad News for Me

I like to drive my car to my next door neighbor's house. I enjoy leaving my 18-wheeler running in my driveway overnight, just to keep the cab nice and toasty. I like to leave a pile of old tires and plastic burning in my back yard for years at a time. These are things that I like to do and as an American, it is my right to do them, but that might not be true for long if the evil Supreme Court has its way.

Today the Supreme Court told the Environmental Protection Agency they do have the authority to regulate greenhouse gas emissions. Previously, the EPA has argued that the reason they don't regulate greenhouse gas emissions is that it isn't in their authority to do so. The Supreme Court didn't tell the EPA they HAD to crack down on emissions, they just told them that their argument for not doing so was total BS.

So very soon all the things that I enjoy doing may come to an end. Perhaps to fill my time I will go get a job at the EPA. It sounds like they do a lot of sitting around, staring out the window, and not protecting the environment. It will give me lots of time to write the next great American novel, or even better, this blog!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger (A Little) Gris Gris said...

Not sure what to say, other than to chuckle. Who knew our court was so liberal?!?

8:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not as liberal as you'd think. This one broke down like most of the other big cases lately - 4 in favor, 4 against, with Kennedy casting the swing vote.

Definitely good news, though, as I was expecting this to get thrown out over standing, which is where Roberts was going with his dissent.

In practical terms, even now that the court has reassured EPA that they in fact do have regulatory authority, EPA isn't going to get much done. What happens next is that California and other states start regulating automobile CO2 emissions, and things trickle up nationally from there. 1970s all over again.

Not the most efficient policy process, but when life hands you a willfully ignorant Executive Branch, you make lemonade.

8:56 AM

 
Blogger (A Little) Gris Gris said...

Sorry to not be clear. Previous comment was snarky and facetious. I was quite surprised as well.

8:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love that the conservative judges ruled against states’ rights. Also, thought I’d add this little nugget from the transcript:
MR. MILKEY: Respectfully, Your Honor, it is not the stratosphere. It's the troposphere.
JUSTICE SCALIA: Troposphere, whatever. I told you before I'm not a scientist.
(Laughter.)
JUSTICE SCALIA: That's why I don't want to have to deal with global warming, to tell you the truth.

9:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha! Howlingjay, that is the best (and worst thing I've ever heard).

This verdict is good news. The EPA won't do anything, but at least we can say "Told you so" when the world melts and then floods. - Lulu

9:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I drive down 2nd Street in DC I give the Supreme Court building the finger...just on the off chance Scalia is looking out a window.

10:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news also for Russia, which according to Smokey Joe Barton can look forward to a longer growing season as the earth warms!

11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home